At the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
1. Define the following vocabulary words portion size
2. Recognize proper portion sizes.
3. Utilize math skills to calculate proper portion sizes.
How about you guys? Do you make healthy choices when it comes to portion sizes? Do you know how much you’re supposed to eat from all the food groups? What’s something similar in size to a baseball that you can use to compare portion sizes?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
1. Serving Sizes are in your Hand
2. Serving Match-up
3. Serving Match-up PowerPoint
4. What’s in a Serving Size?
5. Changing Your Plate
- N-1.1.1 Identify the food groups.
- N-1.1.4 Identify food portions that are appropriate for children.
- N-2.1.1 Identify eating behaviors that promote health, including oral health.
- N-3.1.3 Categorize food choices by food group.
- N-3.1.4 Identify ways to handle and store foods safely.
- N-3.1.5 Explain ways to be physically active daily and limit screen time.
- N-4.1.3 Explain the importance of following the current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans with regard to portion sizes.
- N-5.1.2 Identify the benefits of following the current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- N-1.6.1 Set a goal to consume healthy foods and beverages, including water.
- N-2.7.1 Demonstrate healthy food and beverage choices for meals and snacks.
Lesson Partners: Knowitall.org