Newberry College, pictured in this engraving as it appeared around 1860, was one of a number of denominational colleges founded in the state just before the Civil War. Chartered in 1856 as a Lutheran college and seminary, the college got off to a difficult beginning, for its first two presidents were Northerners who left in 1860 and 1861, and the main building was burned during the war. When its third president accepted a pastorate in Walhalla, the College moved with him, and did not return to Newberry until 1877. Engraving from "The New Berry," 1906, 50th anniversary publication of Newberry College.
Courtesy of Wessels Library, Newberry College.