Aerial view of the University of South Carolina | History of SC Slide Collection
Aerial view of the University of South Carolina horseshoe in 1948. Women had been admitted to the college in 1895, and in 1906 it once again became a University. After lean years during the Tillmanite era, the University grew significantly during the 1920s, and survived the early years of the depression to resume growth in the late 1930s, reaching an enrollment over 2,000 in 1940. The building at the head of the campus symbolizes that growth: the newly built McKissick Library, completed by the WPA in 1940, was named after university president J. Rion McKissick.
Courtesy of Mary Taylor.