The Chappelle Administration Building Of Allen University | History Of SC Slide Collection
The Chappelle Administration Building of Allen University, photographed by Richard S. Roberts in 1922, shortly after its construction. A school organized and run by African-Americans, it was originally Payne Institute, founded in Cokesbury in 1870 to educate students of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1881, the College was renamed Allen University in honor of the founder of the denomination, Bishop Richard Allen, and moved to the corner of Harden and Taylor Streets in Columbia. The building pictured was named for a former president of Allen, Bishop W.D. Chappelle.
Courtesy of the Estate of Richard Samuel Roberts.