Converse College, Spartanburg, in 1909. Converse owes its name and its existence to D.E. Converse, a textile manufacturer from Massachusetts who came to Spartanburg in 1856. Believing that "the well-being of any country depends on the culture of the women," he left one-third of his estate to found the College in 1889 so that his only daughter could receive a good education at home in South Carolina. It is still a private liberal arts college for women, and the central Administration Building was renovated as part of the school's centennial celebration.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.