The student body of Winyah School poses in front of the Winyah Indigo Society Hall, corner of Prince and Cannon Streets in Georgetown, on a warm spring day around 1900. The substantial profits made by indigo planters in the Georgetown area after 1745 led to the foundation of a school for the poor by the Winyah Indigo Society in 1753. It eventually served all classes in the Lowcountry as an important grammar and classical school. The Society's handsome building, built in 1857, was occupied briefly by a Federal garrison after the Civil War, and its large library was dispersed. In 1886, the school was converted into a graded school and became a part of the public school system of the county. From the Morgan Photograph Collection.
Courtesy of the Georgetown County Public Library.