The success of Barbados, Carolina, America, the New World for that matter is coterminous with slavery. The labor, the technology, the ingenuity, and the culture that supported this global economy is attributable to the enslavement of African people. Within this society is also the undeniable progeny of the slaves and the slave masters. In 1833, slavery was abolished in all British territories, over 30 years prior the United States. The Consolidated Slave Law, which granted freedom to the Barbadian labor force was enacted after a series of violent slave uprisings throughout the Caribbean.The bloodiest of these revolts takes place in Barbados in 1816. The newly freed slaves go to work in other areas of the island; even some movement from rural to more urban areas. It is after the Barbadian slaves are freed where homes known as "Chattel Houses" got their origin.
- This indicator was written to promote inquiry into the unique development of ethnic, political, and religious identities in the New England, Mid-Atlantic, and Southern colonies.
- This indicator was written to promote inquiry into the role of mercantilism in the growth of agriculture, early industry, harbor development, shipping and trade, and slavery in the British colonies.
- This indicator was developed to promote inquiry into how South Carolina developed as a result of the relationship among various ethnic, political, and religious groups.
- 8-1 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the settlement of South Carolina and the United States by Native Americans, Europeans, and Africans.
- The human mosaic of the South Carolina colony was composed of indigenous, immigrant, and enslaved populations. To understand how these differing backgrounds melded into an entirely new and different culture, the student will utilize the knowledge and ...
- This indicator was designed to encourage inquiry into the geographic and human factors that contributed to the development of South Carolina’s economic system. This indicator was also written to encourage inquiry into South Carolina’s distinct social and economic system as influenced by British Barbados.
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into how cultural characteristics are determined by a broad range of factors and interactions specific to a place.
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into how popular and folk cultures are characteristically different and how they vary from place to and from time to time. This indicator also promotes inquiry into how factors influence the location a...
- HG.3.4.HS Investigate and evaluate the cultural conditions in different regions that play a role in cooperation and conflict over time.
- HG.3.5.PR Compare and contrast cultural landscapes in various regions, and analyze the human imprint on different landscapes.