At the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
1. Define the following vocabulary words: whole grain, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
2. Recognize foods in the grain group.
3. Distinguish between whole grains and refined grains by reading food labels.
Can you recognize whole grains on your label?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
1, 2, 3, 4
1. Many Grain Bread Worksheet
2. Nutrition Facts Label
3. Whole Grains
4. Is Your Food a Healthy Choice?
5. Nutrient Search
6. Whole Grain or Refined Grain
- N-1.1.1 Identify the food groups.
- N-1.1.2 Explain the importance of choosing healthy foods and beverages, including water.
- N-1.1.3 Define a food label.
- N-2.1.1 Identify eating behaviors that promote health, including oral health.
- N-3.1.2 Use the current federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans to identify the number of servings from each food group that children need daily.
- N-3.3.1 Identify places to access accurate information on healthy eating and physical activity.
- N-3.3.2 Describe the nutrition information that is found on food labels.
- N-4.5.1 Use nutrition information on food package labels to make healthy food choices.
- N-1.6.1 Set a goal to consume healthy foods and beverages, including water.
- N-2.7.1 Demonstrate healthy food and beverage choices for meals and snacks.
Lesson Partners: Knowitall.org