The mansion on the Redcliffe Plantation State Historic Site was completed in 1859 by Governor James Henry Hammond. Governor Hammond was governor 1842 to 1844. The construction was done by Augusta architect William Goodrich. It took about two years to build and cost about $20,000. Four generations of the Hammond family as well as African American enslaved people lived at the Redcliffe mansion. Diaries, journals and account books are available along with many of the family's original artifacts and furnishings.
There are several surrounding buildings like the original slave quarters, the carriage house and a car garage.
The slave quarters house is open to the public. Three generations of African Americans lived in the house up to the 1950s.
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into evaluating and utilizing primary sources as sources of knowledge to learn about South Carolina.