Oconee Station State Historic Site | Destination SC Parks
Oconee Station State Historic Site has the oldest building in Oconee County. The stone structure was built in 1792 by the South Carolina State Militia. It was the centerpiece of a small military outpost, called a station as opposed to a fort. In the 1790s, there were a number of raids by Creek Indians in the area, and South Carolina felt it was necessary to fortify their frontier. A series of these small frontier outposts were built every 10 to 12 miles apart, each consisting of a blockhouse, or a similar structure that troops could hold up in should they ever be under siege.
William Richards moved to the area in 1795 and began to operate an Indian trading post. In 1805, a brick structure was built for him.
Log structures were the most common structure built along the American frontier in the late 1700s. Since both structures were built using masonry its one of the reason why they're still standing today.
Station Cove Falls is apart of the Oconee Station State Historic Site. There is great diversity of plants like the walking fern, which gets its name from the way it reproduces. When the tips of the fronds of the fern touch ground, they sometimes take root, and a new plant sprouts.