Purrysburg Cemetery | History of SC Slide Collection

Purrysburg Cemetary
Image icon Download (92.64 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

During the 1730s, to protect against Native American attack and slave uprising, the government made plans to establish eight townships in a semicircle about one hundred miles around Charles Town (see Plat Map Of Camden). A ninth town was established in 1732 near the coast, just inland from Beaufort, in present-day Jasper County, by Jean Pierre Purry, a Swiss Huguenot who brought several hundred German-Swiss colonists to settle here. All that is left of this community is the stone cross marking the Purrysburg Cemetery.

Courtesy of the Jasper County Chamber of Commerce.