Goose Creek Church | History of SC Slide Collection
Goose Creek Church in St. James Parish was one of the earliest structures built in South Carolina for religious worship. The congregation was founded by Rev. William Corbin in 1702 in the wealthiest neighborhood outside of Charles Town, largely populated with planters who had come to South Carolina from Barbados and were strongly Anglican. The present building was begun in 1708, but not dedicated until 1719. The Goose Creek area was one of the centers of the religious conflict in South Carolina between Anglicans and Dissenters. Its members, known as the "Goose Creek Men," rebelled against the proprietors' attempts to allow religious toleration and to control trade with the Native Americans. (See image 65 in "Important Institutions in South Carolina" for a view of the interior of the church.)
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.