"Carte Particuliere de la Caroline dresse sur les memoires le plus nouveaux, Amsterdam, chez Pierre Mortier," ca. 1696. This map of the Savannah River area shows the French perception of the region formerly claimed by them as Port Royal, subsequently settled by the Spanish, and now claimed by the English. In 1670, William Sayle brought the first English colonists here to Port Royal briefly before moving on to the Charles Town location. A Scotch colony under Lord Cardross arrived in 1684, but was destroyed in 1686 by the Spaniards. Not until 1710, when the town of Beaufort was laid out, did settlers from Barbados create a permanent English settlement in the region.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.