Upon completing this lesson the students will:
• Define energy and the major sources of energy currently in use.
• Explain the difference between energy efficiency and energy conservation.
• Describe renewable energy sources and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
• Describe nonrenewable energy sources and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
• Evaluate energy sources for their contribution to sustainability and energy independence for the country.
1. How do people make use of resources to power their everyday energy needs?
2. How does the use of these resources impact the environment?
3. What are steps we can take to lessen the impact of energy production and use on the planet?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
Computer with internet access
- 3.E.4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the composition of Earth and the processes that shape features of Earth’s surface.
- 3.E.4A Earth is made of materials (including rocks, minerals, soil, and water) that have distinct properties. These materials provide resources for human activities.
- 6.P.3 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the properties of energy, the transfer and conservation of energy, and the relationship between energy and forces.
- 6.P.3A Energy manifests itself in multiple forms, such as mechanical (kinetic energy and potential energy), electrical, chemical, radiant (solar), and thermal energy. According to the principle of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created nor de...