Happy New Year to all!
In addition, we offer resources for National Trivia Day (become knowledgeable on an assortment of topics by selecting a month from our KnowItAll Factoids and explore!), plus National Bird Day, National Screenwriters Day, National Technology Day, Law Enforcement Appreciation Day, National Cut Your Energy Costs Day, National Save the Eagles Day and Human Trafficking Awareness Day. We offer resources for National Pharmacist Day, Penguin Awareness Day, and Australia Day. Our Holocaust Remembrance Collection provides resources for International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Throughout the month, be sure to check often to find out what’s new on Knowitall and visit our KnowItAll Factoids, in which each date brings a resource you may not have thought to look for—here on Knowitall! View the January Factoids!
JANUARY 17, 2022 - MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
This Collection honors the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and relays much of the history of the Civil Rights era. The Collection includes:
Penn Center: A Legacy of Change
This program tells the story of the Penn Center’s inception in 1862 as a school for freed slaves to its involvement in the Gullah community today. Today the center collects, documents, preserves, and disseminates information related to cultural heritage of the Sea Island and Lowcountry African American culture.
African American History Month on Periscope
This collection honors our history and the African Americans who made strides in the advancement of African Americans.
Road Trip! Through South Carolina's Civil Rights History
Designed to help teachers and students to learn about the people and the events, and the importance of the civil rights movement in South Carolina from the 1940s to the early 1970s.
Be sure to check the individual resources in this collection, including these and more!
- Andrew Young on the Death of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Beaufort County - The Green
- Benjamin Mays Historical Preservation Site Photo Gallery | Let's Go!
- Benjamin Mays | SC Hall of Fame
- Colored Water Fountain | Periscope
- Coretta Scott King – Road Trip Through S.C. Civil Rights History
- Judge Matthew Perry, Jr. | Road Trip (Courthouse Dedication April 23, 2004)
- King at Penn Center – Road Trip Through S.C. Civil Rights History
- Land - Penn Center | A Natural State
- Leading the Struggle – Road Trip Through S.C. Civil Rights History
- Mahatma Gandhi | Periscope
- March on Washington | Crowd on the Mall | Periscope
- March on Washingon | Periscope
- March on Washington | Road Trip
- Marian Wright Edelman – S.C. Hall of Fame
- Martin Luther King with President Lyndon Johnson | Periscope
- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968) – Road Trip Through S.C. Civil Rights History
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebrated at the State House – Palmetto Scene
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Legislation | Periscope
- Orangeburg Massacre, Part 4 – The Big Picture
- Penn Center: A Legacy, Part 2 – Social Injustice
- Policemen & Federal Marshals | Periscope
- Road Trip Upstate, Stop 3: Key Leadership
- Rosa Parks | Periscope
- Ruby Bridges (1960)
- Ruby Bridges Today | Periscope
- Septima Clark – S.C. Hall of Fame
- Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles | Periscope
- Why the Penn Center? Road Trip Through S.C. Civil Rights History
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Out of the Shadows | Black America Since MLK: And Still I Rise
- Read, Write, Paint and Sing...Celebrating the Life of Dr. Martin Luther King
KnowItAll's African American History Collection provides these resources—all in one place! Use them now for Martin Luther King Day and in February for African American History Month.
- A True Likeness (Richard Samuel Roberts, Photographer)
- African American History Month | Periscope
- Blythewood History
- Born To Rebel, Driven To Excel (Benjamin Mays)
- Civil Rights Youth Media Summit
- Civil Rights Movement | SC Hall of Fame
- Congressman Jim Clyburn
- Dizzy Gillespie | Profile
- Dizzy Gillespie: From the Be to the Bop | Carolina Stories
- Ernest A. Finney - S.C. Chief Justice | S.C. Hall of Fame
- Education of Harvey Gantt
- Family Across the Sea
- Gullah Roots
- Homecoming: Art of Jonathan Green and Leo Twiggs | Carolina Stories
- Jail, No Bail | Carolina Stories
- Mary McLeod Bethune (Idella Bodie's S.C. Women)
- Matthew Perry | Profile
- Matthew Perry | SC Hall of Fame
- Modjeska Simkins (Idella Bodie's S.C. Women)
- Penn Center: A Legacy of Change
- Reflections of Columbia
- Road Trip! Through South Carolina's Civil Rights History
- Saving Sandy Island | Carolina Stories
- SC Chief Justice Ernest Finney | SC Hall of Fame
- SC Confederate Flag
- Septima Clark | SC Hall of Fame
- South Carolina African American History Calendar
- Tuskegee Airmen
- Briggs v. Elliott
- Friendship Nine
- Noted African Americans
- Orangeburg Massacre
- Penn Center
- Slavery in South Carolina
There are seven overview sections. Each provides a short summary of a topic related to the Holocaust. Teachers can summarize these mini-lectures for their students or share them with more able readers. The overviews are intended to supplement the information in students' textbooks on each topic and provide a background for teaching the lessons that follow each overview. A Holocaust timeline and glossary are also included.
Trace the events of the Holocaust through the testimony of survivors who settled in South Carolina. Interviews are combined with dramatic archival footage for a powerful and moving record of the inhumanity that was experienced during the Holocaust.
Full interviews with South Carolinians who survived the Holocaust and those who liberated the concentration camps or witnessed the atrocities that took place.
The Holocaust Forum was a collaboration between the South Carolina Council on the Holocaust, ETV, and the South Carolina Department of Education.
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE AREAS EACH TIME YOU VISIT KNOWITALL.ORG!
If we were able to spark your curiosity with the resources listed above, please visit these additional areas on KnowItAll.org!
Knowitall.org features over 9,000 mobile-friendly videos, worksheets, and interactives for preK-12. Now you can drill down to the specific Topics and Subtopics you’re interested in.
Find topical content and lessons grouped together for your convenience. These are available all year long for your planning purposes.
Lesson plans for teachers that meet South Carolina standards.
Be sure to review our KnowItAll blogs! They provide links to recommended resources each month. You may be surprised by all the topics you'll find!
From the top of the home page, click on the magnifying glass, and when the search box opens, click on the magnifying glass again, and the results will come up, showing all of the assets available on KnowItAll.org. The newest content will appear at the top of the results. Just scroll down to view all of the content that is new to you! Visit often, so you won’t miss a thing!
We welcome your questions and comments! We would love to hear from you!
The Learning Continues on KnowItAll.org!
Share the KnowItAll blogs with your friends! https://www.knowitall.org/blog