Gordon is one of Auntie Karen's Jamaican Yams Character. When Gordon, a purple overweight Jamaican Yam discovers he is pre-diabetic, he gets some comforting advice from his friend Shelby. The purpose of the Auntie Karen’s Place: Gordon’s Discovery is to assist young children and providers with tools to recognize signs and symptoms of diabetes, improve eating habits and general nutrition principles and increase physical activity among this age group. The entire project includes three 10 minute segments addressing the above principles.
- RI Reading–Informational Text
- RI.LCS Language, Craft, and Structure
- RI.MC Meaning and Context
- Grade 1: Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds including consonant blends in spoken words.
- Grade 2: Use and apply knowledge of how inflectional endings change words.
- Grade 2: Make predictions before and during reading; confirm or modify thinking.