After viewing the video clip, have students use this handout to learn more. Students can research articles about the debate to remove the Confederate flag. Explain the arguments made from each side. Create a timeline of events detailing its removal. Discuss how this influenced the timeline.
- MWH-6 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the creation of nation-states in Europe and the struggle by non-European nations to gain and/or maintain sovereignty.
- 8-7 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the impact on South Carolina of significant events of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.
- 8-7.0 Changes that took place in the United States during the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries revitalized the economy and challenged traditional society and politics in South Carolina. To understand the response of South Carolina to the...
- USG-1 The student will demonstrate an understanding of foundational political theory, concepts, and application.
- USG-1.0 To appreciate the governmental system of the United States, citizens must understand the nature and purpose of government in general. An understanding of basic political ideas allows nations to organize and structure the institutions of governm...
- USG-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of civil rights and civil liberties, the role of American citizens in the American political system, and distinctive expressions of American political culture.
- USG-4.0 An informed, participatory citizenry is essential to the American political process. To understand what it means to be an American citizen, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators: