The Custom House of Charleston, viewed from the harbor in 1899. Begun in 1850 with Federal funds, intended as the crowning glory of Charleston's antebellum civic architecture, the classical revival structure with its Corinthian columns was still unfinished when the Civil War broke out. It was not completed until 1879. Built on a marshy site at East Bay and Market Streets, the building illustrates the expansion of Charleston through the filling in of marshy or low-lying lands.
Courtesy of the Winthrop University Archives.