Columbia Duck Mill Textile Plant, 1935 | History Of SC Slide Collection
Columbia Duck Mill textile plant, photographed in 1935. Constructed next to the Columbia Canal in 1893, the Mount Vernon Mill, also known as the Columbia Duck Mill because it manufactured heavy "duck" cotton cloth, was the first fully electric textile mill in the world. Operated until the 1960s, the mill has now been renovated and redesigned as the home of the South Carolina State Museum, opened in the fall of 1988. It also houses the South Carolina Internal Revenue Service and will soon be the new home of the Confederate Relic Room and the new children's museum, EdVenture. In the background, along the canal, is the state prison, Central Correctional Institute.
Courtesy of the South Carolina State Museum.