John Slaughter serves as the Superintendent of Southern Campaign of the American Revolution Parks Group that includes Cowpens National Battlefield, Kings Mountain National Military Park, Ninety Six National Historic Site, and Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail. Slaughter has more than 18 years of federal experience, including 15 years with the National Park Service (NPS). Visit The Southern Campaign of the American Revolution modules on Knowitall.
In this video, Slaughter answers the following questions:
- What were your favorite subjects in school?
- What subjects in school will students need to do your job?
- What was your first real job? What were the lessons you learned from that experience?
- What advice do you have for students interested in becoming a park ranger?
- What do you like most about being a park ranger?
- What are your biggest challenges?
- What do students need to do to become a park ranger?