Reading - Literary Text
The Fundamentals of Reading (Fiction) for South Carolina ELA Standards:
- Integrate an information (cueing) system that includes meaning (semantics), structure (syntax), visual (graphophonic), and pragmatics (schematic) to make meaning from text.
- Gain understanding by applying reading strategies of monitoring, searching, confirming, cross-checking, rereading, and self-correcting.
- Employ comprehension strategies before, during, and after reading text using schema, annotating, questioning, visualizing, drawing inferences, determining importance, summarizing, and synthesizing.
- Use metacognition to monitor meaning and adjust strategies while reading.
- Notice and analyze the styles and techniques authors use to help readers construct meaning.