York County - Emmett Scott School

This school, founded in 1920, was the first public school for blacks in Rock Hill. Named for Emmett J. Scott (1873-1957), a prominent educator who was then secretary of Howard University, Emmett Scott School included all twelve grades until 1956 and was a junior high and high school from 1956 until South Carolina schools were desegregated in 1970.

The original two-story frame school, built in 1920, was demolished in 1952. The property is now owned by the City of Rock Hill and has been a neighborhood recreation center since the school closed in 1970.

Grades:

6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Subject:

Collection:

Series: