Union Community Hospital was founded in 1932 under the leadership of Dr. Lawrence W. Long (1906?-1985). Dr. Long was a pioneer in providing medical services to the African American population.
A native of Union County, Dr. Long graduated from Howard University and Meharry Medical College. When he returned to Union, he found that because of racial segregation he was not able to practice medicine in the local hospital or to admit patients to the hospital.
He decided that African Americans deserved better medical care and raised funds to establish a hospital for them. Union County also began providing support for the new hospital.
The hospital, which was expanded in 1949, served as Dr. Long's office Union Community Hospital served the black community of Union County and nearby areas from 1932 to 1975.