The Working Benevolent Society Hospital, first known as St. Luke Colored Hospital, was a two-story frame building standing here at the corner of Green Avenue and Jenkins Street.
Founded in 1920, it served blacks in Greenville for twenty-eight years, closing in 1948. The hospital, described at its opening as "one of the most modern institutions in the South for colored people," had three wards and twenty-two beds in semiprivate and private rooms.
Mrs. M.H. Bright was the first superintendent. A registered nurse and a graduate of the Tuskegee Institute, she had been superintendent of the Institutes's hospital. Most of the superintendents after her were nurses as well.