Spartanburg County Courthouse | History Of SC Slide Collection

Spartanburg County Courthouse
Image icon Download (47.93 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

Spartanburg County was created out of the old Ninety Six District in 1785, but there were settlements in the area as early as 1761, primarily of Scotch-Irish from Pennsylvania and Virginia. Known only as the "court-house village" until its incorporation in 1831, the town of Spartanburg is in the geographic center of the county. Built of brick in the 1880s and photographed for this postcard view around 1910, this is the fourth county courthouse, the first one not located on the original courthouse site on Morgan Square.

Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.