Middleton Place was one of the great plantations along the Ashley River. A three story brick house was probably built around 1705 by John Williams. His daughter married Henry Middleton and after their marriage a pair of flanking structures were added to the original building around 1755, one of which is this surviving wing. At the end of the Civil War, the house was burned; it was rebuilt at the beginning of the twentieth century. Henry Middleton (the father of Arthur - see Arthur Middleton) was probably South Carolina's largest landowner at the time of the American Revolution; he owned 50,000 acres of land and 800 slaves. It was he who envisioned the beautiful gardens, which still survive, for which Middleton Place has been famous for two centuries. (see Original Middleton Place Mansion, and Middleton Place Gardens Along The Ashley River)
Courtesy of the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism.