Work began in 1852 on the magnificent Classical Revival auditorium and chapel building on the campus of South Carolina College, originally called College Hall, but now known as the Longstreet Theater. Its Corinthian columns and Roman temple form were designed to seize attention, as was its location in the middle of Sumter Street where it crossed Greene Street. The acoustics in the building were so poor that it could not be used for its original purpose, and served such diverse other uses as a gymnasium and classroom building. This photograph of the building is from a 1907 postcard view.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.