The Dock Street Theater and St. Philip's Church, as they appeared in the 1940s. The parish of St. Philip's, founded in the 1680s on what is now the site of St. Michael's, was the first Anglican parish south of Virginia. A law passed in March of 1711 directed Charlestonians to build a brick church at the present site of St. Philip's. By that time, the Anglican Church had been formally established by law in 1704 as the official church of the colony. The building pictured here, a late example of Georgian style, was built in 1835-1838 as the third owned by St. Philip's Parish; it was designed by the noted Charleston architect Edward Brickell White (see Trinity Episcopal Church).
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.