County Courthouse And Confederate Monument In Bennettsville | History Of SC Slide Collection
The county courthouse and Confederate monument in Bennettsville, county seat of Marlboro County, in a 1915 postcard view. Marlboro County has been an important agricultural center (first for the production of cotton, and since 1900 for tobacco) since the early colonial period. First settled by Welsh Baptists from Delaware and Pennsylvania in the 1730s, the county was named for John Churchill, the Duke of Marlboro, and hero of Queen Anne's War in the early 18th century. The first county seat at Evans Mill was made unhealthy by a nearby swamp and the courthouse was moved officially to Bennettsville in 1818.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.