Bicentennial Medallion | The SC State House
This is a large reproduction of the South Carolina bicentennial medallion which was minted in honor of the American Revolution. It incorporates the state arms which were designed by William Henry Drayton in 1776. This reproduction was placed in the South Carolina State House by the Daughters of the American Revolution of South Carolina as the Bicentennial State Regent’s project.
The obverse side of the South Carolina Bicentennial Medallion was designed by James L. Haynsworth in 1973. It depicts Sergeant Jasper replacing the flag which was shot down at the Battle of Sullivan’s Island June 28, 1776.