The Arnold Gully | History of SC Slide Collection

The Arnold Gully
Image icon Download (142.73 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

The Arnold gully, four miles west of Woodruff on Buncombe Road, South Tiger Erosion Project. The gully in the photo was measured at 20 feet deep (before treatment with kudzu, it had been 35 feet deep) and 30 feet wide. The gully was healed by planting 12 kudzu plants around its sides in 1933, 5 or 6 plants survived. Mr. Arnold, the owner of the land, stated that the mat of vines protects the side walls of the gully. Photographed in 1935 by the Department of Agriculture.

Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.

More in this Series