“W” is Winnsboro [Fairfield County, population 3,599]. Winnsboro, the seat of Fairfield County, lies in the Piedmont on a ridge between the Broad and Wateree Rivers. In 1768 John Winn began acquiring land that would become Winnsboro. During the Revolution, Lord Cornwallis and the British Army occupied the town. Incorporated in 1832, the town was named for Revolutionary War hero Richard Winn. The town became a religious and educational center—home to Mount Zion Academy, Furman Academy and Theological Institution, and Fairfield Institute. Cotton brought prosperity to the county. There are a number of distinguished buildings in town. Among them are the old courthouse, begun in 1822 but later redesigned by Robert Mills and the town clock, a two-story rectangular brick structure. For much of the 20th century, the Winnsboro Cotton Mills were the economic mainstay of Winnsboro.