“W” is for Wilson, Robert [1867-1946]. Physician, educator. Wilson graduated from South Carolina College and obtained his medical degree from the Medical College of the State of South Carolina. After post-graduate work in New York, he joined the faculty of the Medical College of the State of South Carolina. He served the school for fifty-three years as instructor in bacteriology, professor of medicine and nervous diseases, and head of the medicine department. In 1908, he became dean [president] and held the position until 1943. In 1913, with the cooperation of Governor Coleman L. Blease, he persuaded the General Assembly to assume ownership of the medical college and to provide financial support. Robert Wilson was physician in chief of Roper Hospital in Charleston for thirty years and chairman of the state Board of Health for twenty-eight.