“L” is for Long, William Williams [1861-1934]. Agriculturalist. A native North Carolinian, Long worked his family farm before joining the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Plant Industry. He then served as a field agent in the South Atlantic states for the Farmers Cooperative Demonstration Work. In 1913, Clemson College asked him to reorganize the Extension Service in South Carolina. He stayed on as Director when in 1915 the General Assembly named Clemson as the Extension Service agent under the provisions of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914. Long served as director for the remainder of his life. Through the Extension Service, he helped improve crop production, the livestock industry, commodity marketing, rural cooperation, and the social life of rural South Carolina. Long Agricultural Hall on the Clemson campus and W.W. Long 4-H Leadership Center in Aiken County bear the name of William Williams Long.