A brief video on World War I: how the war started, the U.S.' involvement, fighting the war, and the aftermath, with the Treaty of Versailles.
*Important Note: Italy was originally a member of the Triple Alliance when World War I started. After the war started in 1914, when the Triple Alliance became the Central Powers, Italy joined the Triple Entente. The Triple Alliance was originally a defensive pact against the Triple Entente. After Italy switched sides, the Ottoman Empire joined the Central Powers.
- 5-3 The student will demonstrate an understanding of major domestic and foreign developments that contributed to the United States becoming a world power.
- 5-3.0 The Industrial Revolution, urbanization, and access to resources contributed to the United States becoming a world power in the early twentieth century. At the same time, discriminatory practices abounded. To understand the rise of the United Sta...
- 5.2 Demonstrate an understanding of how international events and conditions during the early 20th Century (i.e., 19101940) affected the United States and South Carolina.
- 8-6 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the role of South Carolina in the nation in the early twentieth century.
- 8-6.0 South Carolinas response to national crises during the first half of the twentieth century brought it back into full participation in the national experience. To understand the states changed status, the student will utilize the knowledge and ski...
- 8.4 Demonstrate an understanding of South Carolinas role in and response to the dynamic economic, political, and social developments in the United States and around the world during the period 18621929.
- MWH-7 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the causes and consequences of global warfare in the first half of the twentieth century.
- MWH-7.0 World War I (the Great War) and World War II resulted in the destruction of long-standing empires and the realignment of the relationships between former colonies and former empires. To understand the impact of global warfare on the development...
- MWH.3 Demonstrate an understanding of how the development of nationalism and industrialization affected the rise of new governments and competition in the global economy from 18151918.
- MWH.4 Demonstrate an understanding of how international competition and conflict realigned global powers during the time period of 18851950.
- USHC-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of domestic and foreign developments that contributed to the emergence of the United States as a world power in the twentieth century.
- USHC-5.0 The American belief in political democracy led the United States to support natural rights and political democracy for others, especially when it benefited American interests. The willingness of the United States to intervene politically and e...