Walterboro Courthouse, 1910 | History Of SC Slide Collection

Walterboro Courthouse, 1910
Image icon Download (73.21 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

Walterboro Courthouse, designed by Robert Mills, was built of materials originally used in the Provisional Capital of South Carolina at Jacksonboro. Photographed here in 1910, a militia unit on maneuvers is setting up its tents on the courthouse square. The county seat of Colleton County, established in 1798, Walterboro was first settled as a summer resort by Paul and Jacob Walter in 1784.

Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.