The Second County Courthouse For Union County | History Of SC Slide Collection

The Second County Courthouse For Union County
Image icon Download (41.99 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

The second county courthouse for Union County, built in 1827, was photographed in 1904 shortly before it was torn down in 1908 to make way for a new courthouse. Formed from the old Ninety Six District in 1785, named for the Union Church built jointly by Episcopalians and Presbyterians in 1765, Union County was located at the center of the transportation networks of the Piedmont Plateau. Robert Mills designed this courthouse, built of native granite.

Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.