Rock Hill's Main Street Business District, 1913 | History Of SC Slide Collection
Rock Hill, like many Upcountry South Carolina towns, began as a railroad depot in 1852 on the Charlotte-Columbia Railroad. Incorporated in 1870, its real growth came from two influences: the influx of cotton manufacturing in the 1880s and 1890s, and the relocation there in 1895 of Winthrop College, founded in Columbia in 1886. This 1913 postcard view shows Rock Hill's Main Street business district.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.