Richardson Monument | The SC State House
Main Street in Columbia was originally named Richardson Street, in honor of Richard Richardson (1704–1780), brigadier general of the militia during the American Revolution. Richardson also served as a member of the first and second Provincial Congress and as commander of the 1775 Snow Campaign. An ancestor of six South Carolina governors, he was taken prisoner by the British in 1780. He died at the age of 76 while still in captivity.