Palmetto Regiment Monument | The SC State House
The Palmetto Regiment Monument, or the Iron Palmetto, was erected in 1858. It is the oldest monument on the State House grounds. Designed to honor the soldiers of the Palmetto Regiment for their service in the Mexican War, it originally stood in front of the Old State House. Though some portions of the monument were destroyed and defaced by Sherman’s troops in 1865, the tree itself escaped major damage.