The Plaza in Abbeville, in a postcard view from around 1900. The county seat of Abbeville County (one of the counties or districts created by the state in 1785), the town was named after Abbeville, France, by Huguenot settlers. On what is called Secession Hill, Abbeville citizens claim the first secession meeting was held on November 22, 1860. The last cabinet meeting of Confederate President Jefferson Davis's government was held at a house on Main Street in May 1865, as Davis fled from Richmond toward Alabama.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.