The Medical College of South Carolina, postcard view in 1909. Physicians in Charleston organized a Medical Society of South Carolina in 1789, and the organization became an important promoter of many branches of science in the city. In December of 1823, the Society established the Medical College of South Carolina, and chose six professors, who persuaded the city and the state to give money to build suitable facilities. A quarrel between the faculty and the Society in 1831 led to the faculty assuming control of an institution that has been in continuous existence to this day. The college became a state institution in 1913, and is now the Medical University of South Carolina.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.