Main Street of Sumter, around 1910. The straggling village, first called Sumterville after the Revolutionary War General Thomas Sumter (see Thomas Sumter), was selected in 1798 to be the courthouse site of the old Sumter District. The village was laid out in lots in 1800, but developed slowly until the Camden branch of the South Carolina Railroad was extended there in 1843. In 1845, the town of Sumter was incorporated. The clock tower marks the City Hall and Opera House.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.