Main Street, Society Hill, before paving, around 1910. Society Hill was the core of the Welsh Neck settlement along the Great Pee Dee River granted to Welsh Baptists from Delaware in 1736. The name came from the Baptist educational organization, the St. David's Society, incorporated in 1778 to "endow a seminary of learning in the District of Cheraw." The community that began to settle in the hills near the Welsh Neck Church in 1798 became known as Society Hill.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.