The Kershaw County Courthouse was designed by famed South Carolina architect Robert Mills and built in 1826. The original courthouse had Ionic columns; local citizens, who wanted a more "modern" structure in keeping with the Greek Revival tastes of 1847, later changed the columns to the more elaborate Doric and added the steps and the portico. The third courthouse on this site in Camden, it was in use until 1906. Disuse led to deterioration, and restoration under the Works Progress Administration auspices in the 1930s, when this photograph was taken.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.