Cornwallis House | History of SC Slide Collection
The Cornwallis House in Camden was the headquarters of Cornwallis for the winter the British troops remained there during the Revolutionary War in an attempt to pacify the South Carolina backcountry. (See Battle Of Camden Map) This photograph is of the original structure, which had been unoccupied for years when it was burned in 1865 by Sherman's army. A reconstruction of the house was built in 1976-1977 as part of the Camden Battlefield Park.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.