Anderson Town Square And Courthouse | History Of SC Slide Collection
The Anderson town square and county courthouse around 1908. Anderson County was carved out of the old Pendleton District, created in 1789 from Cherokee Native American lands deeded to the state in 1777. So many settlers flocked to the region, that in 1826 Anderson and Pickens Counties were created. The courthouse site chosen for Anderson was along the General's Road, the highway used by General Andrew Pickens as he traveled between Abbeville and his Oconee County home, Tamasee. The name, Anderson, is in honor of Revolutionary War General Robert Anderson.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.