The H.L. Hunley submarine made history during the American Civil War when she became the first submarine to sink an enemy ship in combat. In February 1864, the Hunley, under command of Lieutenant George E. Dixon, sank the U.S.S. Housatonic; a Union blockade vessel. The Hunley's mission was a success, but disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and never returned to port. The Hunley was the third in a series of submarines constructed by engineers Horace Lawson Hunley, Baxter Watson, and James McClintock. Before the Hunley's successful attack on the Housatonic, the Hunley had two accidents, the second of which claimed Horace Hunley's life.
The submarine was found by author Clive Cussler, and his team known as NUMA (National Underwater Marine Agency) in 1995. She was raised in 2000, and has since been undergoing conservation efforts at the Warren-Lasch Conservation Center, in Charleston, South Carolina. There is a museum devoted to the H.L. Hunley, which is open to the public on weekends.
To View VRs on the Matterport App: The 3D experiences were shot with a Matterport Pro 3D Camera. Experience the VRs using the Matterport phone apps with either a Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear VR.
(1) Download the iOS or Android app to your phone
(2) Use your phone's browser to go to the VR link at H.L. Hunley Museum.
(3) When you click on a link, the Matterport App will open on your phone.
(4) The VRs will need to download to the app prior to viewing.
(5) Look for the visual queues (circles) to navigate through the VR experience.
- 3-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of life in the antebellum period, the causes and effects of the Civil War, and the impact of Reconstruction in South Carolina.
- 3-4.0 South Carolina played a key role in events that occurred before, during, and after the Civil War; and those events, in turn, greatly affected the state. To understand South Carolinas experiences during this tumultuous time, the student will utili...
- 8-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the multiple events that led to the Civil War.
- 8-4.0 The outbreak of the Civil War was the culminating event in a decades-long series of regional issues that threatened American unity and South Carolinas identity as one of the United States. To understand how South Carolina came to be at the center...