"H" is for Horry, Peter (ca. 1743-1815) Planter, soldier, legislator. In 1775, Peter Horry was commissioned a captain in the Second South Carolina Regiment. By 1780, he commanded the Fifth South Carolina, but when it was merged with another unit, he was discharged prior to the British occupation. In the summer of 1780, he returned to service—as one of Francis Marion’s most trusted and valuable officers. After the Revolution, Horry remained in the military service of the state. He accumulated a sizable collection of Revolutionary War materials that he gave ro Parson Weems--that became the celebrated Life of Marion. After the Revolution, he represented Prince George Winyah Parish in both the South Carolina House and Senate. In 1801 when the legislature established new judicial districts, the state honored Peter Horry’s war-time service by creating Horry District.