"B" is for Berkeley County [1,098 sq. miles; population 142,651]. Created on May 10, 1682, Berkeley was one of South Carolina's first three counties. It was named for two of the Lords Proprietors, Lord John Berkeley and Sir William Berkeley. At that time, Charleston served as the county’s seat of justice. Over the next two centuries the boundaries and organization of the Berkeley County area underwent several alterations. With the abolishment of the parish system in 1865, Berkeley became part of Charleston County. In 1882, the General Assembly re-created Berkeley County with Mount Pleasant as its county seat. Its area was reduced several times until, in 1921, its current boundaries were established. In 1895, Moncks Corner became the county seat of Berkeley County. By the end of the 20th century, Berkeley County had evolved from its agricultural past into a Mecca for manufacturing.
Berkeley County | South Carolina Public Radio